BASIC CAMPING SKILLS
Upcoming Dates: March 2018 schedule for your group over Spring Break! October 20-21,2018
Costs: Children (15 and under) $45 / Adults $60
Length of Time: Class begins Saturday morning at 9:30a.m. and goes through Sunday 2:30p.m.
For those of you who want to camp but don't feel quite confident enough to go out on your own, this class will put you at ease in the outdoors for a camping adventure. With supervised guidance, you will easily learn how to use the equipment needed for basic camping, safe fire starting skills and cooking. We'll make sure you not only learn outdoor skills but have fun!!
Any Girl Scout in attendance, will complete and earn their "BASIC 8" patch.
- Outdoor manners "Rules of the Trail"
- Proper dress for outdoor activities
- Basic knots
- Knife care and handling (please bring sharpened pocket knife)
- First Aid skills
- Fire safety, construction, use, and extinguishing
- Outdoor cooking skills
- Nature conservation
Additional Topics include:
- Tents, how & where to set up various styles
- Equipment use & maintenance (stoves, lanterns, etc.)
- Animal proofing your camp
- Hazards to be aware of
- Campfire songs
Class begins Saturday morning at 9:30a.m. and goes through Sunday 2:30p.m.
- Dinner and breakfast will be provided. Bring your own lunches.
- Eating utensils, plate, bowl, cup (please do not bring any disposables)
- Water bottle
- Sleeping bag
- Pocket or Survival knife
- Air mattress
- Camp chairs
- Insect repellent
- Musical instruments for around the camp fire
Vegetarian Fare Available, like at all of our camps, just let us know.
NOTE : All classes have a minimum number of registrants to make or sorry to say it will be cancelled. So bring your friends and tell everyone you know. Some classes are listed but are not currently on the schedule for the upcoming year. If your group has an interest we can schedule a date for you.