PRIMITIVE SURVIVAL SKILLS CLASS 2
Upcoming Dates: March 16-17, 2019
Family Rates: Children 15-13 years $65 - 12 - 8 years $55 ****Adult family member or guardian, must attend for these rates and they will be working with their parents when making the traps and snares.
Scouts: Large groups call to set up alternate dates.
Length of Time: Begins 9:30am on Saturday and ends about 2:30 on Sunday
This class can be taken before or after the Primitive Survival Class 1. The survival sacred order is: Shelter, Water, Fire, Food. This "Class 2" covers the food aspect while "Class 1" covers the shelter, water and fire.
Nature's Supermarket is always open with a buffet of choices. Learning to gather and prepare wild edibles throughout the seasons is an exciting adventure, as is learning to hunt wild animals. Then knowing how to prepare them into palatable meals is the next important step. This class covers Wild Edible Plants, Wild Meats, and Primitive Cooking.
- WILD EDIBLE PLANT
- learning the basic edibles found across the United States
- identifying plants to eat in our area
- seasonality considerations
- poisonous look a likes and other toxic plants to avoid
- WILD MEATS
- basic mammal tracking (tracks, scat, & runs)
- throwing sticks
- figure 4-trap
- basic snare
- primitive fishing methods
- various other things that are ebible
- PRIMITIVE COOKING
- rock boiling
- steam pit
- ash cooking
What to Bring?
- A knife is MANDATORY, and a sharp fixed blade (non-folding) knife is best. You can purchase a Swiss Mora knife from us if needed.
- Dinner and breakfast will be provided. Bring your own lunches.
- Eating utensils, plate, bowl, cup (please do not bring any disposables)
- Water bottle
- Sleeping bag + blankets
- Notebook, pencils
- Camp Chair
Vegetarian Fare Available like at all our camps, just let us know.
We have a swimming pond, so bring provisions to enjoy. Also a camp chair and flash light are nice to have but not a necessity.
NOTE : All classes have a minimum number of registrants to make or sorry to say it will be cancelled. So bring your friends and tell everyone you know. Some classes are listed but are not currently on the schedule for the upcoming year. If your group has an interest we can schedule a date for you.