PRIMITIVE SURVIVAL SKILLS CLASS 1
Upcoming Dates: December 8-9, 2018 / March 9-10, 2019
Length of Time: Begins Sat Morning at 9:30 and ending Sunday Afternoon at 2:30 pm
Cost: Adult $80
Family Rates: Children 15-13 years $65 - 12 - 8 years $55 ***Adult family member or guardian, must attend for these rates. Dose not include a separate bow drill kit, will be working with their parent
Scout Rates: We can set up a camp to meet your needs. Call about the age and number in your group. Girl Scout and Boy Scouts learn life skills while earning your Wilderness Survival Badges.
At any time, anywhere, things can go wrong and you might find yourself in a survival situation. You can survive 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. To stay alive, you must find or build a shelter, obtain safe drinking water, start a fire and gather food. This class will teach you how to build a simple shelter using natural materials, start a fire without matches, and find safe drinking water. (Gathering food will be taught in the Primitive Survival Skills Class 2.) It is also nice to know how to signal for help and aide rescuers in finding you.
This class is open to all who are responsible enough to handle sharp tools on their own.
- finding natural shelters
- building a debris hut
- making cordage
- gathering water
- water purification
- building a safe fire
- starting a fire with alternate methods. Adults will construction a Bow Drill Kit.
- signaling for help
- Survival Packs - what to have with you
What to bring:
- A knife is MANDATORY, if you are going to make a bow drill, fire by friction. A sharp fixed blade (non-folding) knife is best. You can purchase a Swiss Mora knife from us if needed. Please let us know if you need to buy a knife when you register.
- Dinner and breakfast will be provided. Bring your own lunches.
- Eating utensils, plate, bowl, cup (please do not bring any disposables)
- Water bottle
- Tent, if you do not plan on sleeping in your debris shelter
- Sleeping bag, pad
- Notebook, pencils
Vegetarian Fare Available, like at all of our camps, just let us know.
NOTE: This class meets requirements needed for:
- The Boy Scouts of America Wilderness Survival Merit Badge - optional Bow Drill.
- Webelo Scouts can earn Cast Away, and choose another badge to do the weekend also.
- Cadette & Senior Girl Scout Interest Projects "Outdoor Survival"